This week: Vegetable Stir Fry
In our continued support for our seniors in all aspects of health and care, we will be bringing you a new segment on healthy recipies easily prepared at home or with your loved one!
This quick take on everyone’s favorite carryout dish can be adapted to whatever ingredients you have on hand — and made in one pan for easy cleanup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or non-hydrogenated vegetable oil
- ½ pound protein, such as cubed chicken breast, sliced steak, or tofu
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (such as peppers, zucchini, broccoli, onions, snap peas, and mushrooms)
For the sauce
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, or a sprinkling of ginger powder
InstructionsHeat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Cook the protein, stirring regularly, until lightly browned.
Add vegetables and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until soft. Remove meat and veggies from pan and set aside.
Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Add the mixture to your pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for about 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Add vegetables and protein back to the pan and stir to combine.
Serve over brown rice or noodles for a filling meal.